Friday, January 22, 2010

Smoot Cemetery



On the 7th of January my Sister-in-Law and I went in search of a small cemetery she had remembered seeing off the road out in the middle of nowhere a few years ago. We found it and the stones it holds are so interesting!



It's very unkempt and over-grown. There are a lot of small stones that you can trip over if you don't keep a very close eye of where you are walking. The stones are pretty scattered and there are lots of good finds lurking in the weeds.



One of my favorites from Smoot Cemetery was this one. Mirtle May Giles, a girl who died in 1906 at the age of 12. I wonder if the spelling on her grave is a typo or if they actually spelled in in an alternate fashion. Whatever the case, love her name.



These two stones kind of haunt me. The first of the two is the grave of James B Adair, a little boy who died just short of his first birthday in 1860. This is the oldest known grave in the cemetery. The second grave is James' twin baby brothers who died the day they were born, just a year after his death in 1861. I can't help but think of their poor mother Mary Adair and all the suffering she went through loosing three baby boys in just two years time.



This is one of the neatest graves there. The stone is hand carved and the first name on it is split into two lines. It reads exactly:

DAN
IEL
GRIFFITH
DIED
1893




And this is my self-indulgent artsy shot of the same grave. I asked my Mom what she thought of this photo and she said I would probably be the only one to "get" it. =)



Finally, this is the old home that we found just a short skip hop and jump down the road from Smoot Cemetery. It was guarded by a No Trespassing sign, so I didn't bother to jump the fence to get a closer look. There was a ReMax sign out front and after a few conversations with the agent listed on the sign, she claims it is not one of her properties. Blah. I guess I will have to do some digging on my own to get permission for some up close and personal time with this gem of a house!


That's it for now, these were my favorites from the day. I can't wait to go back to Smoot to see what new treasures are hiding out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...